Luncheon cake based on recipe from E. David‘s : “English Bread and Yeast Cookery”.
Original ingredients :
225 g four, 60 g butter, 60 g sugar, 2 small eggs, 15 g yeast, 6 tablespoons milk, 30 g sultana’s, 30 candied citron peel
I leave out the citron peel and use more flour : 275g
1. (Fri 15:00) Rub the butter in the flour.
Add the other ingredients (sugar, milk, eggs, yeast). Mix with one hand (keep the other one clean 😉 for 2 to 3 minutes. Consistency should be more like a batter or very soft dough. Add the raisins and distribute evenly.
Turn the dough in a buttered loaf tin. The tin shloud be +- half filled. Leave to rise till the dough reaches the top.
2. (Fri 17:30) bake in an oven at 180 C for about 40 minutes. Too prevent the top from getting too dark cover with some foil after 15 minutes.
3. (Fri 19:00) leave for 10 minutes in the tin to cool, before unmoulding.
– The time needed to rise is longer compared to the original recipe (1,5 h). E David recommends too warm flour, milk and baking tin. I didn’t.
– as good as a regular cake but a lot less fat and eggs