Spelt bread based on a sourdough starter.
- 200 g starter (100 g flour, 100 g water)
- 700 g bread flour
- 700 g water
- 500 g whole meal spelt four
- teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
1. (Sun 23:30) Re-activate the starter by adding 300 g flour and 300 g water. Mix till all lumps have disappeared, store 200 gr of the mixture for next time. Leave to rise till next day.
2. (Mon 07:45) Add 400g flour and 400 g water to the mixture and leave to rise for 8-10 hours. (or till you get home form work).
3. (Mon 19:00) Add the spelt flour, salt and oil to the mixture.
Mix all in the bowl. The mixture will be rather sticky, if too dry add some water. Turn out on your working surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. If the dough is too sticky knead 2 times for 2 minutes with a 10 minutes rest in between.
Leave to rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
4 (Mon 20:30) divide the dough into two equal parts; form each into a loaf.
Leave to rise for 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. (Mon 22:00) Bake in a preheated oven at 220 C for about 33 minutes.