- 100 g white bread flour
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 100 g water
- 250 white bread flour
- 150 pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 g sugar
- 40 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 150 g milk
- deep fat fryer with neutral oil
1. Start by mixing flour (100 g), yeast and water (100 g) to a light batter.
Leave this starter to rise for 40 minutes.
2. Mix the remaining flours with the salt and sugar. Rub in the butter. Add this mixture to the starter batter. Add the egss and most of the milk.
Mix to a light (sticky dough), if too dry add some milk.
Turn out on a floured work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.
Form into a ball and leave to rise for 1 hour.
3. Turn out the dough on a floured work surface.
Roll (gently) to a rectangle (or any other form) about 1 cm thick.
Using a cutter (diam. 7cm) cut out rounds.
Put each round on a floured tray.
Roll out the remaining trimmings and form some additional rounds.
Leave to rise for 1 hour.
4. Heat the oil to about 170-180 C. Fry the rounds for 2 minutes
turn them over and continue for 2 minutes.
Remove from the oil and leave to drain on a wire reack or on absorbent kitchen paper.
5. When completly cooled, fill them with custard, jam (or Nutella). To be 100% correct the filling must be put in from the top. Easier if you split in them in 2 halves. Sprinkle the bomboloni with sugar before serving.