Sourdough rye bread. Rye wholemeal bread with some white bread flour.
- 200 g sourdough starter (100 g flour, 100 g water)
- 300 g white bread flour
- 300 g water
- 500g wholemeal rye meal (coarsly milled)
- 200g white bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250 g water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Reactivate the starter by adding 300g water and 300 g flour. Mix well with a spoon to incorporate enough air.
Reserve 200g for future use (in the fridge). Leave remaining to rest/rise for about 8 hours (9 AM – 6 PM).
2. Starter batter very active by now.
Mix the rye and additional bread flour, salt and starter in a large bowl.
Add most of the water and the olive oil. Start mixing the flour and liquid by hand.
Add additional water if the dough is too dry.
Turn out on work surface and knead for 3-4 minutes.
Leave to rise for 2 hours.
3. Form into two loafs and put in greased tins.
Leave to rise for 3 hours.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 33 minutes.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.