- 200 g sourdough starter (100g flour, 100g water)
- 300 g white bread flour
- 300 g water
- 400 g white bread flour
- 400 g water
- 300 g wholemeal pastry flour
- 200 g white bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Initial starter:
Reactivate the starter by adding 300g water and 300 g flour. Mix well with a spoon to incorporate enough air.
Reserve 200 g for future use (in the fridge). Leave remaining to rest/rise for about 8 hours (9 AM – 3 PM).
2. Add the 400 g water and flour; mix well again and leave to rise for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Mix the additional bread flours, salt and starter in a large bowl.
Mix by hand, add flour if too wet.
Turn out on work surface and knead for 30 seconds.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Lightly oil work surface and hands; knead the dough again for 30 seconds. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Repeat previous step.
Leave to rest now for 20 – 30 minutes.
6. Stretch out the dough on a floured surface.
Fold into a ‘letter’ format.
Leave to rise for 1 hour.
7. Form into small balls and put on a greased baking tin.
Leave to rise for 2 hour or until doubled in size.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 22 minutes.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.