“Basic loaf” from ‘Brilliant Bread’ by James Morton
- 1000 g strong white flour
- 20 g salt (2 tsp)
- 40 g fresh yeast (recipe calls for 2 x 7 g instant yeast)
- 700 g tepid water
1. Flour in a large bowl with yeast on one side and salt on the other.
Add the tepid water
and mix until it forms a coherent dough.
The recipe does not mention any kneading at this stage, did some here.
Leave to rest for 30-40 minutes.
2. With wet fingers fold the dough in the bowl until deflated and smooth.
Leave to rise for another hour or doubled in size.
3. Turn out on a flour surface.
Form into a ball. Had to make two.
And put on a floured surface.
Leave to rise for another hour or until doubled.
4. Preheat oven at 210 C. Score bread and bake for at least 40 minutes.